‘Florida is a strange place: hot, beautiful, ugly.
I love it here, and how nothing makes sense…’
#AWP18 Tampa, it’s time. We’re ready to follow Roxane’s lead and love.
If you also are making the journey to this year’s conference, Submittable is excited to see you—to admire those beautiful ugly shades, sandals, and shorts. Stop by table 953 in the bookfair to say hi and explore the offerings:
- Merch Madness: we’ve got hot new stickers, to deter disturbers with humor and spread submission fever wide. Not to mention classic sweatbands and a cool giveaway (see below).
- Are you #InProgress as an artist, writer, submitter, human? We’re offering a sweet prize to the first 20 people each day of AWP that use this hashtag, tag us on social media, and come by the table to show us their social (media)!
- Join us for some Submittable-sponsored TGIF, with a panel Friday at 4:30 p.m. (Heads in the Cloud: A Consideration of Poetics and Technology) featuring TJ Jarrett, Jessica (Tyner) Mehta, Neil Aitken, and Lynne DeSilva-Johnson.
- Follow that up with an offsite event at 7:00 p.m. (Sinking Ground: Rising Voices) organized by Burrow Press, Catapult, Electric Literature, and The Rumpus, with readings from Marie-Helene Bertino, Ben Gwin, Lisa Ko, Alicia Mountain, Safiya Sinclair, and Javier Zamora.
- We’ll be giving away a limited number of free downloads for the mobile app. You can also try it for just $1.99—only if you purchase during AWP, from March 8-10.
- The second year of Submittable’s Eliza So Fellowship is in full swing. Stop by for more details on this special opportunity for immigrant and Montana indigenous writers with books-in-progress.
- Submishmash Playlists are dropping, thanks to Submittable’s resident d.j. Cory Davis. Sample an AWP mix in our upcoming newsletter and be on the lookout for future (dope) listening opportunities.
This is our eighth year attending AWP – in 2010, we only had a handful of employees, much less in our suitcases, and way fewer events on our roster. But even as we’ve grown in number, and even as what we do has grown in scope, this conference represents a lot of the heart of what we do: helping connect talented submitters with awesome publications, so that everyone benefits.
Safe travels and see you in the sea breeze (with a sea breeze?!). XO, Submittable
R. Gay quote from The Guardian.